Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 2009 21:53:19 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade 7.2 overwrites partitions

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:58:58 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Could somone explain to me why an upgrade from sysinstall would
> overwrite partitions; especially when the instructions indicate that
> files will not be overwritten?

I'm not sure how to explain. It's possible that sysinstall recreated
the slices and paritions, or at least the partitions were marked as
to be formatted ("Y" after the file system type in the partition
editor).

Because I've never used the "Upgrade" functionality of sysinstall,
I'm not even sure what it is supposed to do.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0