Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 23:00:09 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        320096206837-0001@t-online.de (Dermot McNally)
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE connection almost working

> I can now report success. I updated to current and it Just Worked. I must
> admit to being very pleasantly surprised - I expected at least one nasty
> hurdle, and was preparing to dissect the output of tcpdump when I realised
> there was a lot more of it than there had been before. I looked at ppp and
> noticed that the link was alive. You can't complain, can you?

Excellent !  I *didn't* expect that :-)

> Anyway, well done to Julian and Brian for the code that does all this.
> You've done a phenomenal job. The link comes up in a fraction of a second
> (which is important, since Deutsche Telekom doesn't offer an always-on
> connection at decent rates) and I've done a test download at 87 K-bytes/s,
> pretty much on the edge of the claimed bandwidth of my pipe.
>
> One further question - with reference to the ppp log below, is it normal
> that I should have all those LCP entries? They keep repeating as long as
> the link is up. I can just stop logging them, of course, but is there
> something else I should tweak instead?

Hmm, I think I'll move them to the lqm log level.  They're strictly
LCP, but they're also pretty annoying for someone that wants to see
what link characteristics were negotiated....

TODO list !

> Thanks again,
> Dermot

It's worth it when you get emails from people saying they're happy :-)
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>