Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:02:19 +0100
From:      Kay Lehmann <kay_lehmann@web.de>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-ports science/hdf and math/netcdf

Hello,

I noticed that the port of hdf is in conflict with port of netcdf. they
both install same headers, because of included netcdf inside of hdf. I
think this has to be solved, because we get somehow messed up package
system when both are installed and prevent ports depending on
netcdf-package from building, when hdf was installed after netcdf. I
tried to work on this problem and found that it is possible to build hdf
with generic netcdf (it renames headers), but this has some disadvatages
because hdf needs to be compiled without fortran. I didn't finished to
work on this, because it seems that hdf is somehow a difficult port and
needs a little bit more work to fix this, because of the selfwritten
makefiles etc. So I decided to contact you and ask for some help with this.
My two suggestion for solving this would be:

1. Just mark them temporarily conflicting (isn't a long term solutution,
because I think programs like grace and opendx should be able to live
together on one system)
2. Check if netcdf is installed, give user a message about the problems
and compile it without fortran and tell it that we have netcdf installed
(configure option --disable-fortran + compileoption -DHAVE_NETCDF).
Additionaly netcdf needs to be modified to check if hdf is installed and
  give user a message what he has to do to install netcdf (deinstall
hdf, install netcdf and reinstall hdf)

Please tell me if I can help with anything of these.

Greetings,
Kay