Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 06:50:27 +0200
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mutt and Filters

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 07:58:08PM -0500, Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> OK. I am going to try this one last time. I really want to keep using
> Mutt because it's small, fast and I like console based apps anyways. I
> am new at this stuff ok. I have asked a couple places on the net many
> times in the last 2 weeks and still can't get it to work. I am
> starting over. I want Mutt to Filter out my e-mails into groups. Like
> for this mailing list I want "ALL" e-mails sent, and replied to on
> this list to be sent to a sertain group I dont know maybe called
> FreeBSD-Questions....

You need to use procmail for the filtering and the FCC option of Mutt to
get a saved copy of your reply, although I am not sure how you use FCC to
get a saved copy of your reply to a different mailbox (i.e. the on you
are looking at at the time). Keeping all your mailboxes in a seperate
directory .. say called Mail ... You may need to export the environment
variables MAIL and MAILDIR to get you into the right place from wherever
you run mutt. Then using the "c" command you can get a list of the
mailboxes and select the one you want to look at. You set the mailboxes
as "subscribed" then they will appear as in a list and you get cute
little lines and arrows showing all messages in a thread according to
subject.

Sorry not to explain further, but you really *must* study the "mutt"
documentation and learn a bit about basic use of procmail .. there are
millions of what procmail refers to as recipes on the net...and there is
a tutorial for it.

Procmail is as big a mess as sendmail is, but for this kind of fairly
simple filtering it does the job. Also you can put a rule in it to use
something like spamassassin which will help you filter out spam
according to a set of rules. It's in the ports.

I don't know how you point sendmail into using procmail since I use a
sane MTA called postfix.

Basically mutt does not have inbuilt filtering, so you have to use an
external agent like procmail. I think there are others (maildrop ??) but
I know little about them.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson