Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 1995 09:22:08 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mar7@cec.wustl.edu (Matt Rosenberg)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2742W and Seagate 43xxxxN

Matt Rosenberg stands accused of saying:
> found a device sd0, but it incorrectly reads it as 6GB.  (It
> flies by too fast to read the exact geometry if it does in fact
> show it.)  On ttyv1 I get the following error message:

You can hit ScrollLock and use the cursor keys to scroll the console back
to read messages like that.

> Physcially the disk has about 2600 cylinders, but under DOS the
> BIOS (Award) supported LBA shows the following geometry:
> 354 cylinders, 255 sides, and 63 sectors per track

You need to set the geometry in the disklabeller to match the BIOS
geometry; otherwise the bootstrap won't find the beginning of the root
filesystem.

> Matt Rosenberg

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[