Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:15:32 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Charlie Kester <corky1951@comcast.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Popularity

At 06:06 PM 2/28/2010, Charlie Kester wrote:

>If you don't understand that there's an aesthetic aspect to Unix, you'll
>miss what a lot of people are complaining about with GNUish stuff.

There's that, too. So many longwinded command line options that
they had to start using double dashes. And Linux also tends to
follow System V conventions, some of which were changed from the
BSD ones by AT&T just to make things annoyingly different.

Then again, there never really was a "UNIX style manual." There
probably should have been, so that command line options (among
other things) were more consistent. But as often happens, the
coders were too busy coding to take a step back and consider this.

In any case, I like the fact that I can hop back and forth between
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and the command line shell in MacOS
without having to reprogram my fingers.

--Brett Glass