Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:39:11 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, Anthony Rubin <arubin@concentric.net>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...)

In the last episode (Jul 22), R. D. Davis said:
> Firstly, I'm using relatively new hardware, less than two years old;
> the motherboard, which I paid a lot more for than the typical generic
> clone board, is manufactured by Mainboard, which was one of the few
> boards at the time whose manufacturer guaranteed it to work with
> FreeBSD.  The SCSI controller, an Adaptec 1542B, and one of the tape
> drives, an Exabyte 8200, are relatively standard - not new, but not

I can tell you that SCSI Exabytes drives are most definitely supported.
The only tape drives FreeBSD has ever dropped support for are tapes
driven off the floppy controller (ft device).  At work, we have
Exabyte, 3480, and ** 9-track ** tape drives hanging off 4.0-stable
boxes, some off 1542 controllers.

All I can think is maybe your Exabyte is set to the same SCSI ID as
another device on your bus, or there is a termination problem affecting
the device probe.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com