Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:10:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
To:        clkao@clkao.org
Cc:        phantom@FreeBSD.org, keichii@iteration.net, bsd-locale@hauN.org, standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about localedef

From: Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 03:02:57 +0800
> hi Yamamoto-san,
>
> I grabbed your localedef implementation as of oct 2001. I wonder if
> there is any update or documentation of it? and how did you plan to
> integrate/interface with the current bsd rune_t? since localedef
> produces seems to be quite different from the current mklocale one,

there're no (working) updates.
i've added some rune-ctype glues locally some time ago,
but it's far to work yet.

there're some problems.
1. in order to output compatible databases,
   localedef should know internal wchar_t presentations used by
   ctype modules.
2. arbitrary numbers of character classes/translations can't be
   supported with current database format.
3. iso2022.
4. ugly code
5. something that i can't remember now. :-)

maybe 1.(and 3?) can be solved simply by using non-standard source file.
(it reduces merits of localedef, though)

2. is more difficult. i wonder we should support to output
compatible databases or not if we should change database
format anyway...

---
YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>