Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:20:15 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Alex <raindogs_1@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another newbie struggling with ppp/modem issues

in message <20030912050756.97643.qmail@web10407.mail.yahoo.com>,
wrote Alex thusly...

> My modem is sitting on cuaa2 and I needed to re-compile my kernel
> to  recognize that port. I did this and everything went fine, ...
> am getting the dreaded "sio5: configured irq 2 not in bitmap of
> probed irqs 0" error which I haven't found a solution for in any
> documentation or discussion.
>
> Just for laughs, I went ahead and tried to contact the modem via
> ppp, but when I enter the "term" command I get:
>
> "Warning: deflink: /dev/cuaa2: Bad file descriptor
> Failed to open /dev/cuaa2"
> # Serial (COM) ports
> device   sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
> device   sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
> device   sio2    at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
> device   sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

Some questions...

 - Does the /dev/cuaa2 device exits?  (If not, "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV
   all".)

 - Are the IRQs assigned correct? (Verify via dmesg, something like:
   "dmesg | grep -2i irq".)

Also, search the lists archive for how to contact the modem via tip
or kermit (i forgot), w/o involving ppp.  If you can contact the
modem, and successfully talk to the modem, via terminal, only then
continue w/ solving the ppp problem.  (Somebody else should fill in
the process as i have forgotten it.)

  - Parv (no that's not a question, but sign off)