Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:58:29 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for testing

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >> Hmm, well, I like to have it around for root at least...
> >
> >Exactly.
> >
> >In a perfect world, the -e option will only allow inspection of the
> >environment of processes for which the owner of the ps process has
> >sufficient priveledge.
>
> Yes that makes sense, because if all comes to all they could attach
> a debugger and find it that way anyway.

If the command line is obtained other ways, then the easiest way to implement
this should be to delay opening the mem file until it's required and turn
off the setgid bit for the open.   Or better yet, turn off setgid entirely
and use sysctl and eproc for everything, but allow -e to work if the user
could open /proc/*/mem..  Or something like that.

Cheers,
-Peter