Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 16:08:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian D. Moffet" <brianm@moffetimages.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   COnfiguring a US Robotics 56K fax modem

I was trying to figure out how to configure a 3com/US Robotics modem
to work with FreeBSD 3.3, and thought I would share what I found with
others on this list.  The modem type is 3CP5610, which is a 16550
based modem card, not a winmodem.  In other words, it appears to the OS
as a PCI serial card.

In order to install this card, I booted the kernel with boot -v, for
verbose mode.  That gave me the following information:

found->	vendor=0x12b9, dev=0x1008, revid=0x01
	class=07-00-02, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
	subordinatebus=0 	secondarybus=0
	intpin=a, irq=3
	map[0]: type 4, range 32, base 0000e800, size  3

which is the modem card (pciconf and your BIOS will help you find this out).

After finding this out, I went to the manual, and read how to configure my
serial port 2 (sio2) as base address 0xe800, and irq3.  recompile the kernel
with the /usr/sbin/config, make depend, make, and make install.  When
I rebooted, the serial port was recognized.  verifying this with

cu -l /dec/cuaa2

as root, typing the command 'atz' and verifying that I received the
expected "OK".

so, if anyone else wishes to use this information, I hope it is helpful.

Brian Moffet