Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 08:09:39 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: Compiling the Kernel

Frank Griffith wrote:

> Okay, everyone please forgive my newbie status. But I
> want to recompile my kernel so I can do quotas and
> other neat stuff. I also just need to finally do a kernel
> recompile. Anyway the instructions in the manual say this:
>
> Note: If there is not a /usr/src/sys directory on your system,
> then the kernel source has not been been installed. Follow
> the instructions for installing packages to add this package
> to your system.
>
> Well there is no /usr/src/sys directory on my system, but I'll
> be darn if I can find the right instructions on how to install
> the package which I need. And which package is it?
> Can anyone shed some light here?

Same problem here (except I was afraid to show my embarassment when I
couldn't find the sources). I have had plenty to play with without
recompiling the kernel, but decided recently it was time to try it. When
I couldn't figure out how to install the sources after 30 minutes of
trying, I deferred the Easter egg hunt for another day.

If two of us can't manage it after R'ingTFM, maybe TFM needs to be
improved!

Red-faced in advance,

Graeme Tait - Echidna