Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 15:49:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ups or tgdb?

I am a long time user of ups (debugger), but all the excitement of late
seems to be over tgdb.

What meaningful features or shortcomings does tgdb have over ups?

I'll start:

(We can assume that a cited positive for one product is an implied
 negative for the other and vica-versa.)

tgdb:

    positive:
	can attach/detach to running processes
	is very familiar to people familiar with gdb

    negative:
	seems to require at least 1024x768 display
	    (I tried with 640x480 and small icons)
	rather slow
	crashes at times

ups:

    positive:
	is very familiar to people familiar with ups

    negative:
	supported almost exclusively by its author

Thanks for your help,

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com