Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:33:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gregor Mosheh <stigmata_blackangel@yahoo.com>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>, Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/rc.d  vs  /etc/rc.conf question

> >> On my 4.10 box, there is a mysql-server script in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> >> and nothing
> >> in /etc/rc.conf, yet mysql-server starts up a
> boot time.
> >> Why?

(the following is true for 4.x)

Check the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file
You'll see in there that the default setting for
local_startup is "/usr/local/etc/rc.d
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d"

So (as someone else pointed out) if you don't want
MySQL to start up, and its script is in one of those
default directories, then you'll need to disable that
script somehow. Either rename it to not have a .sh
extension, or chmod it so it's not executable.