Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:54:39 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Subject:   Re: NAT vs Public IP Range info needed, please

--N+dhEFW7Y2Uiel/w

Hello Vince,
      Thanks for the reply.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Sat, 12 Jun, 2004 18:36 BST

>=20
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Stacey Roberts wrote:
>=20
> > Hello,
> >      I am looking to replace a proprietary DSL router/modem with the Sa=
ngoma S518 ADSL PCI Controller, thereby placing a FreeBSD (4.10-Stable) ser=
ver running ipfw to handle access, firewall and nat duties.

<snipped>

> > What I would like to know is if it is possible to do to following: -
> > Given that the 5 usable public IP's are: 1.1.1.4, 1.1.1.5, 1.1.1.6, 1.1=
.1.7 & 1.1.1.8
> > 1] G'Way host is assigned its own public IP - 1.1.1.3
> > 2] LAN hosts' (all) traffic is NAT'd using one of the other public IP's=
 - 1.1.1.4
> > 3] Remaining 4 public IP addresses are left to be used other purposes (=
eg: "true" address redirection to a DMZ-host, that is not a member of the i=
nternal LAN subnet)

>=20
> All entirely reasonable
>=20
> > As you see, the g'way's public ip is not being used for NAT'ing interna=
l hosts' outgoing traffic, but another ip from within the assignied public =
ip address range. My reading of the NAT chapter does not suggest that there=
 is a way to define the public IP with which traffic is to be translate. Is=
 this functionality not supported, or have I missed something when reading =
the various sections?
>=20
> You havent missed anything in the hand book but I suggest reading the natd
> manpage, specificly
>  -alias_address | -a address
>                  Use address as the aliasing address.  Either this or the
>                  -interface option must be used (but not both), [more here
> but no need to post it as you have it all already]

Excellent! I'll get onto this and see what needs to be done whilst I wait f=
or the card to arrive.

>=20
> Also it might be worth looking at at the ipf/ipnat ipfilter stuff  and se=
eing which
> you find easier to use. (examples in /usr/share/examples/ipfilter for
> ipfilter , see the handbook or manpage for ipfw.)

I've never used ipfilter before - mainly because the HandBook had historica=
lly exclusively used ipfw in its examples since I started with FreeBSD back=
 at 4.2. I'll certainly consider ipfilter as well to see what benefits it o=
ffers over ipfw. Thanks for that suggestion.

Regards,

Stacey

>=20
>=20
>=20
> >
> > I'd appreciate any pointers to where I might find more information that=
 might assist me, or an explanation of what it is that I am not understandi=
ng when reading the HandBook.