Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:53:09 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@siralan.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jarrod@netleader.com.au, "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Subject:   Re: Nagios segfault on startup when embedded perl is enabled on 7.1-stable/i386

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:57:14PM -0400, Michael L. Squires wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Nagios 3.0.6 on:
> >
> > FreeBSD aubsr096.us.add 7.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE #0: Tue
> > Mar 17 19:59:50 EDT 2009
> > root@aubsr096.us.add:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
> >
> > Perl is installed from packages, but I installed Nagios from ports to
> > enable embedded perl.
> >
> > When I start Nagios I immediately get a segmentation fault.  Enabling
> > complete debugging just gives me:
> >
> > [1237399013.145856] [001.0] [pid=93972] drop_privileges() start
> > [1237399013.145983] [004.0] [pid=93972] Original UID/GID: 181/181
> >
> > I saw others with similar issues recently,
> > (http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg18740.html).
> > The only reported solution was rebuilding perl with the correct
> > options.  As my perl is from packages, I wouldn't expect I'd have that
> > issue.
> >
> > Did any of the people who had this issue find a solution?  We're not
> > having any trouble on our CentOS boxes.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ==ml
> >

> I have the same problem with both nagios (3.0.6) and nagios-devel (3.1.0);
> the former with either perl 5.8.8 or prerl 5.8.9 and the later with perl
> 5.10.  OS is FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE.
>
> Recompling either nagios or nagios-devel but deselecting embedded perl
> results in a successful startup.
>
> Running with embedded perl results in a startup message in nagios.log and
> a segmentation fault in /var/log/messages (signal 11).
>
> I tried following the OpenBSD nagios installation instructions
> regarding .cfg files with 3.0.6, used the default files with a few changes
> to cgi.cfg in 3.1.0; no change in behavior.
>
> A ktrace/kdump didn't show anything very interesting to me, but I'm not an
> expert at reading kdump output (perl is compiled with debugging at this
> point).
>
> Any suggestions?

There is a PR about this issue (ports/131993) but the maintainer is
reluctant to approve the patch listed there. The maintainer has asked
for system information from people who report this problem in the past
(see the PR log for details) but nothing has ever come of it. It may be
useful for you to send the same information to the maintainer who is,
presumably, still interested in fixing this bug.

Is the benefit to the embedded perl option worth the occasional bug
report? Is it possible to remove this option from the port?

-- WXS