Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:43:58 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cron Problem

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 09:42:45PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Quoting Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>:
>  [000921 12:25]:
> #>At 12:14 09/21/2000 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> #>>can anyone kindly point me to any reason why cron seems to be asleep in my
> #>>systems -4.1-STABLE?
> #>>No periodic processes are being run.
> #>>
> #>>Here are the messages I got for last night.
> #>>
> #>>Sep 21 03:00:02 alouette squid[283]: storeDirClean:
> #>>/usr/local/squid/cache/08/71
> #>>: (23) Too many open files in system
> #>
> #>Already, right there...
> #>
> #>You've got something opening up too many file descriptors.. keep in mind
> #>"file descriptors" on unix means not just any file, but anything that is
> #>accessed as a file.
> #>
>
> Still my cron won't run. As I mentioned, I really suspect the mergemaster
> that I ran after cvsup. If the periodics are not being run, does it not
> also mean that my cron could be dead? Or should I suspect anything else?

I suspect you have a loop in your scripts. This used to happen when
people copied /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf and edit
that. This would loop until you get the above error. (Since rc.conf is
sourced by periodic, this could have been your problem, but I doubt it
if you survived boot.)

If you want to eliminate cron as the culprit, run the periodic script
at the command line and see if you get the same error.