Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   using `restore` without user input

I would like to perform a restore out of a shell script.  Normally, I run
restore with a command line like:

restore -x -f /some/dump

Which works _exactly_ as I want it to, except that I am asked two
questions:

	Specify next volume #:

and then at the end of the restore:

	set owner/mode for '.'? [yn]

So that is a problem, since I want to run it unattended, without requiring
user input.  I have discovered that this command line:

restore -rf /some/dump

will run without user input.  MY question is, is the output of this
command identical to the output of the original one I was running ?  I
_do_ indeed wish to specify owner/mode for '.' and have everything restore
just right like it was with my original command line - am I missing
anything or losing any of my original functionality by using this new
command line ?  Or is it identical in result (except for the extra
`restoresymtable` file it produces) to the original command I had ?

thanks,

PT