Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:19:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: arb patch to tell who installed port and when

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:47:34 +0200, Neil Blakely-Milner stated:
> +             if [ -n "${RECORD_USER}" ]; then \
> +                     echo ${USER} > ${PKG_DBDIR}/${PKGNAME}/+WHOM; \

Where does the value for ${USER} come from? It is not currently defined
anywhere in bsd.port.mk.

Yes, it's true that in some shell environments, ${USER} is defined. BUT how is
it going to achieve the stated purpose if it only returns the effective
username? Many folks su to root to install ports (that's how they're designed
to be installed by default), and ${USER} will only return 'root', thereby
nullifying the hope of finding out precisely WHO installed the port.

Also, why not use ${ECHO}?

> +             fi; \
> +             if [ -n "${RECORD_DATE}" ]; then \
> +                     date > ${PKG_DBDIR}/${PKGNAME}/+WHEN; \

I notice that you would be saving the information in /var/db/pkg/packagename/
(by default, that is what it would resolve to). I assume you have a script or
something similar to show this information? Or a patch to pkg_info? How else
would this information be made useful?

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>