Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:27:33 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman.uk@gmail.com>
To:        "Jasvinder S. Bahra" <bbdl21548@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Binding dhclient to a particular network interface

Jasvinder S. Bahra wrote:

> Is there a way of instructing dhclient to listen only on the cable-modem
> facing network interface?

Hi Jazz,

I don't find it necessary to run dhclient as a daemon. My server has two
interfaces, one wired and one wifi. In my /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ifconfig_ndis0="WPA DHCP"

[You might recognise ndis as the Project Evil driver for using Windows
network drivers under BSD.]

When the netstart script runs, those two lines have the effect of
starting wpa_supplicant on ndis0, and running dhclient on both interfaces.

Supposing I temporarily assign a static IP to fxp0, I can revert to DHCP
by typing:

$ sudo dhclient fxp0

which does some DHCP magic and gets a lease.

If I take ndis0 down I find I have to run /etc/netstart again to get it
back up, but you didn't want to know that.

HtH
Adam J Richardson