Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:59:16 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl driver for 3Com

At 08:06 PM 5/30/99 -0700, you wrote:

>It is kind of interesting that now the shoe is on the other foot...
>
>A few months ago I purchased some sync cards from ET, and had some (and am
>still having) trouble getting them to work consistently.
>
>When I emailed their support dept for help, I got a few curt non-helpful
>replies, then a message about how if I didn't understand every nuance of
>HDLC, and couldn't read the debugging output of his cards/software, then
>I was (my interpratation, not his words exactly) not worth of his effort,
>nor his company's products.

You had the cards connected back to back, which is not a normal configuratoin.

>I have offered access to the boxes for the trivially repeatable problem I
>am having, in order so that he can improve his product, but the answer so
>far is "Try a new version of the software".  The shotgun approach to tech
>support.

Because your problem has been fixed, I believe. Your constantly email and
simply said "it doesnt work"...if you do it correctly it works, and I
cannot debug a back-to-back config for you.

>It is no wonder that he does not invest effort in helping the 3com driver
>work better, he is unwilling to work with a customer with a significant
>dollar amount invested in his boards make *his* product better, why would
>he be worried about improving others product, he has little interest in
>improving his own.

We have thousands of boards installed....making them work back to back in a
non-standard configuration does not make the product *better*, particularly
when working with someone who cant provide useful info on *why* it doesnt
work. I wish I could stop what I was doing every time someone had a
problem, but I dont have that kind of time.

>Which is too bad, because when it works, it (the ET board) works just
>great. When it doesn't, don't ask ET for help.  What you get is a lot of
>talking down, what you don't get is real help.

I told you that we fixed something recently that sounded like the problem
you were having...did you try it, or is it too much trouble? I cant debug
old versions of software. If you are not using the latest version then you
MUST upgrade to get proper support. We cant spend hours debugging problems
that have already been fixed.

It took you 2 weeks to find provide any useful information. When someone
calls and says "it doesnt work" there is not much I can do.

Next time try calling on the phone when you are in front of the machine
instead of emailing snippits of useless info.

Of course now that you've publically badmouthed us Im sure your requests
well get very high priority :-)

Dennis