Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:06:15 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping perl (Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/perl Makefile.inc src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl Makefile)

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:28:53PM +0200, Mark Murray wrote:
> > Since I'm now through it, I don't know the latest problem, but the
> > last thing I saw that the old lib got used with the new perl (or the
> > other way round) and that looks like it can be fixed with some path
> > adjustments.
>
> The problem here is that miniperl needs to be built early enough
> to be in the path perl "proper" is done.
>
> I thought build-tools was the answer; sadly that seems to be wrong.
> Now I'm looking at cross-tools (out of src/makefile.inc1).

Adding something to bootstrap-tools implies that we can't use the
installed miniperl (backward compatibility problem) or the host doesn't
have miniperl.  The bootstrap-tools built miniperl would then be used
throughout the build and install stages.

Note that bootstrap-tools are built (and installed under /obj) to be run
on the host.  This means that miniperl is going to be built a second time
for the target architecture.  The bootstrap-tools stage is designed to
solve incompatibilities caused by versions of tools installed on the
system and the requirements (for newer ones) by the source-tree.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)