Date:      Mon, 11 May 2009 23:17:09 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Saifi Khan <saifi.khan@twincling.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: howto sidestep sysinstall during installation

--nextPart2987823.0fMAO5KH8r

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 03:45:03PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 May 2009, Saifi Khan wrote:
> > > Is there a way to sidestep the sysinstall during the
> > > installation process, beyond selecting the 'location' ?
> > >
> > > i'm using FreeBSD 8.0 200905 i386 snapshot DVD and looking
> > > for an approach to drive the entire installation from the
> > > Fixit# command line console.
> > >
> > > i'm a experienced Gentoo Linux user.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions, pointers or observations ?
> >
> > You won't be able to partition the disk from the command line
> > because the install MFS doesn't have any of the requisite tools to
> > do so.
>
> ???????   I don't understand this comment.
> Recreating a disk - slice/parttion/newfs - is one of the main things
> to do under a fixit.   You should have fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs
> there as well as restore for sucking dumps back in.

Depends what sort of fixit you have.
A holographic shell won't have it, but the others will.

It's pretty easy to do a minimal install on your new disk and then go=20
into the fixit shell, then you will have the full suite of tools=20
(although if you're doing a full restore you should use the /rescue=20
version or odd things will happen when you overwrite the binary you're=20
using).

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum