Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <H@Schmalzbauer.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB-Console, is it brain-damaged?

On 8 Aug 2002, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering if anybody has ever thought about a "USB-Console".
> Currently I have the problem that my laptop doesn't have any RS232 and
> my servers (and switches etc.) are headless. Now I wanted to purchase a
> RS232 to BlueTooth adapter (BT is the thing my laptop has built-in) but
> even if I agreed with that horrible prices nobody can deliver such a
> product.
> Then I decided to by a RS232 to USB cable which brought me to that idea.
>
> Since I'm a really fastidiuos (well, thats what the dictionary said)

I'll bet it didn't.

> newbie UNIX-user (since four years) I don't really know much about
> "terminals" and the underlaying serial idea (esp. VTxxx). I know serial
> transmissions in all (un-/modulated) kinds quiet well, in fact 10 years
> ago I constructed some converters for rs232 to centronics, but just from
> the hard wire (or the HF/RF carrier)!
>
> Since I always wanted to start learning C and I'm still fascinated like
> a child when I can control some RS/6000 with my HP Jornada (via RS232!)
> I think this would be a funny project.
>
> Please correct me,
>
> -Harry

Ok, I'll correct you.  This list is for freebsd-QUESTIONS.  Your post
wasn't about freebsd and didn't contain a question.

If you're trying to say that you want to run serial console connections
directly over USB, it would require some hacking to get the tty/vtys to
listen to that device.  Doable, but probably not nearly as useful as the
hardware USB-serial converter you already have.

KeS