Date:      Mon, 18 May 2015 15:00:08 -0400
From:      Patrick Kelsey <kelsey@ieee.org>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improvement to pthread_getspecific(3)

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > We do not have a strong preference for Pq over explicit parentheses,
> so I
> > > would leave them in.
> >
> > Ah, I thought we preferred mdoc markup (Pq, Dq, etc.) when possible.
>
> I don't think there are written style rules on this point, but there is a
> large body of existing text using both forms (for Pq in particular), and
> we're unlikely to get anywhere close to consolidation.

Based on cursory grep -r | wc on share/man, lines with explicit parens
outnumber lines with .Pq by about 4:1 with the delta being about 3.5k
lines.  That estimate is not perfect, but I did take some pains to exclude
counting among lines with explicit parens those with copyright symbols,
code examples, lines in comments (such as the license terms), etc.