Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:21:31 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ScanJet 4100c?

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 02:39:07AM -0500, Anish Mistry wrote:
> On Friday 16 December 2005 11:31 pm, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:19:21PM -0500, Anish Mistry wrote:
> > > On Friday 16 December 2005 08:02 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > 	Do I have to build it into the kernel or what?  IOW, what's the
> > 	deal with USB stuff?  I've had enough headbanging with ye olden
> > 	COM[1234] ports.  But it's time to get my fingers wet.
> Depending on what version of FreeBSD you're running you might want to
> build usb into the kernel.  If you just run "kldload uscanner" it
> should automatically load the usb kernel module, if it's not already
> in the default kernel, which I think it may be.  The usb stuff should
> work fine as long as you don't have some funky chipset. 6.0-RELEASE
> should have pretty good support for usb.

	I just tried a "lkdload uscanner" on my ThinkPad running 5.4
	and got

	kldload: can't load uscanner: File exists

	In the USB section in /boot/loader.conf, everything was
	set to NO.  Which of these options should I switch to YES.
	---This goes for my other FBSD servers too.  I've never
	used anything usb so I'll check my KERNEL config files too.

	All my hardware is fairly standard.  Intel, HP, whatever
	ThinkPad has, and whatever's on the USB 2.0 m'board on my
	just-shipped AMD system.  I stick to the Keep It Simple Sir
	philosophy, so if  I need to buy a USB board I well.  Meanwhile,
	if you have any feedback about the /boot/loader.conf and
	KERNEL config files, I'd like to hear them.

	thanks!

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix