Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 1995 11:05:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@seagull.rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   porting software

Greetings!
   Frequently, when porting software to FreeBSD, the compiler emits
"... was declared implicitly `extern' and later `static'" errors.
I understand their cause and realize adding a prototype is the
correct and easiest way to silence them (barring a compiler switch).
   However, can I simply ignore them?  Currently, I simply examine the
offending function declaration and, if it returns 'int', assume the
"implicit" declaration will coincide with the "explicit" declaration.
(figuring that the real potential for screw up lies in a function
which returns something *other* than int.  Q: will the compiler
emit a *real* error in those cases?)  Should I also be examining
arguments, etc.?  Likewise for 'non-static' --> 'static' warnings...
   Any other "general comments"?
Thx, --don