Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:25:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        "Constant, Benjamin" <bconstant@be.tiauto.com>
Cc:        ML - FreeBSD - Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Distinct base and ports update ?

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Constant, Benjamin wrote:

> I'm using cvsup to update my FreeBSD boxes trough a local cvsup mirror that
> I cvsup only when only when I want/need because I want to avoid boxes
> running different versions of FreeBSD/ports.
>
> What I would like to do is to update the base and the ports at differents
> time intervals. Working with two 'versions' will help me to update my ports
> more often (e.g.: security issues) while the base will be updated less often
> depending more on my own requirements (except for security and critical
> fixes).

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to achieve, but can
you not simply use the date option in your supfile to make sure all
systems run the exact same checkout?  eg, adding something like
date=2005.03.22.00.00.00
to your supfile on all the hosts?

That way, it doesn't matter if you update your mirror, you'll still be
getting the same checkout every time.  Just make sure the date you specify
is at least a few hours before your last checkout, otherwise you may miss
some files which have been committed but which the mirrors between your
client and the master sever haven't picked up yet.

Gavin