Date:      20 Sep 1999 15:30:56 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAPERSIZE in /etc/make.conf?

 * From: naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)

 * I already put that question to -hackers since it also concerns
 * groff, but I guess I ought to ask about opinions here too, since
 * the main target are ports:
 *
 * How about putting a variable PAPERSIZE (A4, letter) in /etc/make.conf?
 * We currently have a couple of ports that exist in -a4 and -letter
 * versions. We also have other ports (e.g. ghostscript55) where the
 * informed user can choose either format at build time by explicitly
 * setting a make variable. Wouldn't it be better if ports could pull
 * this as a system setting automatically out of /etc/make.conf?

No.  We tried that before.  As long as the papersizes are compiled in,
it doesn't solve anything and just makes it harder to distinguish
between packages.  The current system is a result of that failed
experiment.

 * - Some ports support additional paper sizes (letterdj).
 * - The package builders end up with packages that are unmarked but
 *   assume one papersize. Of course, we already have this situation with
 *   some ports.

No reason to spread the problem to *all* papersize-varying ports. ;>

Satoshi