Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:56:47 +0100
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recover /etc/passwd from pwd.db

Hi folks,

after the latest crash of 5.0-p2/i386, my /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd are trashed (I used chsh just before the crash).
My user line is missing in passwd, and the master.passwd file is
just binary garbage.  pwd.db and spwd.db however seem to be ok.
How can I recover the text files from the databases?
pwd_mkdb(8) talks about creating a v7 style passwd file via the
-p option but I don't know what to pass as file argument, if I
do pwd_mkdb -p /etc/pwd.db I get:

pwd_mkdb: line #1 too long
pwd_mkdb: /etc/pwd.db: Inappropriate file type or format

Any solution?

--
Matthias Buelow