Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:49:48 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Marlon Pabilona <marl@skyinet.net>, brian@FreeBSD.ORG, steve@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: out of swap space

At 11:05 PM 10.13.2002 -0400, Marlon Pabilona wrote:
>Sir,
>
>	After a year having without problem, our freebsd machine experienced a hang
>problem and found the message "out of swap space" in /var/log/messages. Our
>proxy server has a 1G of mem and 128MB swap space. What are the common cause
>of the problem ? Do you think it is related to a smaller swap space
allocated
>? Thank you for your time.
>

>Oct 14 04:11:08 proxy23 /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
>Oct 14 04:11:08 proxy23 /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

Although this will be debated by other opinions, it is recommended that a
swap be set up at 2X your physical memory -- or 2G in your case -- versus
only 128MB which sounds low in any case....

Check the handbook on this section on setting up swap and also about adding
more.....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator