Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:12:55 +0200
From:      "Michael Vondung" <michael@vcommunities.net>
To:        "'Pat Lashley'" <patl+freebsd@volant.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ports on a CD

 > Sounds like a business opportunity.  Make and sell
 > CD sets with the 'missing' ports.  Every couple of
 > months, a new snapshot of the entire ports tree with
 > all of the legally-CD-able distfiles; for people who
 > don't have the (cheap) bandwidth to stay up to date
 > with cvsup...

I believe that is what Tadimeti originally meant. If you get the seven
Debian CDs, you can install and use a wide variety of different =
software,
even if you have no or a slow/expensive connection to the 'net. With =
FreeBSD
you get some packages, but if you want or need more than the minimum
software, you depend on an online connection. If the same person also =
has a
slow machine, then FreeBSD is not really suited for them.

This has actually been one of my problems. I'm stuck in an area where =
the
fastest connection speed is ISDN, and I pay for that by the minute (an
average of fifty cents an hour, for one channel). Setting up a =
workstation
with a decent selection of software, was more costly for me than if I =
had
done the same with Debian. To me, this was a perfectly acceptable
investment, but I can see why it would turn people off who haven't yet
decided to go with FreeBSD and instead "shop for an OS" (it makes little
difference if you purchase two or seven CDs if you get them for one or =
two
dollars a piece).

M.