Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:53:54 -0500
From:      "rob copsey" <robc@execpc.com>
To:        "Joseph" <ginipig@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invalid Partion - help on setting up loader

Hi,

You've posted to the wrong list (see newbie's FAK). . .

Also, there are sections of the handbook that deal with this

and other aspects of setting up the boot loader and partition

scheme. If you still have questions after perusing the relevent

sections of the handbook, please post to the questions list.

Happy Holidays,

Rob

> Hi list. Merry Christmas!!
>
> This is my first post on a Freebsd Mailing List, so don't be too
harsh on me if my ettiquette isn't acceptable.

> Ok, I guess I'll get to the heart of this post:
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to boot 5-releng-1 alongside my 4-stable
slice.

> After a surprisingly successful buildworld/kernel, installworld, I
used /stand/sysinstall to fdisk/disklabel the appropriate partitions.
By the way, both slices exist on the same disk.

> Booting to stable was fine, however, booting to current gave me:
>
> invalid partion
>
> I was, however, able to get it to work, when I pointed the boot to
0:ad(2,e)/boot/loader (which is the location of my current's root
partition.)

> I'm happy with how my current installation went, but I may have
missed a crucial step along the way.