Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 00:49:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        Giao Nguyen <giao@learnix.com>, Derek Laufenberg <laufen@wi.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Alex Belits wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Giao Nguyen wrote:
>
> > > Thanks for letting me vent a bit.  I am truely impressed with the quality
> > > of FreeBSD.  It has the potential to be a silver bullet, but it needs
> > > killer applications - WORD & Excel.
> >
> > We don't need no silly Word & Excel. We've got sendmail. :)
>
>   If we won't, there will always be presence of Windows on every desktop,
> proprietary fromats everywhere and therefore constant threat of complete
> Windows takeover even if the number of FreeBSD installations will increase
> hundreds of times. There should be a way to do all work without Microsoft
<snip>

We need Word & Excel or clones there of.

Speaking as an old time computer seller. You must be able to do what
the other guy does without scaring the user. Or, you won't get convert
one.

That means word processing, spread sheets, fax, and database. I do not
mean big stuff either. Bullet proof, easy to use - intuitive interface
and clean looking.

The only reason I have so many PCs on a LAN at my house (its just a
rumor that I have one in the bathroom...) is that my father, a
machinery broker, throws one into a box every year or so and ships
it to me then gets a new one. Why? With windoze it gets so full of
ka ka ("updates/good deals") that it quits. The one he has now simply
hangs up the fax line - MID FAX! No one can tell him why.

All he wants to do is get and send faxes, write quotes, and keep a
list of customers - which he does in Word - its easier than the
database manager.

I take his non working system, scrub the disk clean, load FreeBSD,
runs like a charm and faster. One problem, software learning curve
prevents me from shipping it back to him. Get that one solved and we
win.

My two cents for the night.

John