Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:03:51 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.1000711193915.70622A-100000@haldjas.folklore.e
e>, Nar
vi writes:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> > In message <20000711092233.F26861@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien"
> > writes:
> > >
> > > Then how about we rip LPR from the base system and let people install the
> > > printing system they need from ports?
> >
> > This would be a huge step in the right direction.  We should do the
> > same with Sendmail, BIND, nvi, and every other component of the O/S.
> > In short everything should be installed (or for those of us who
> > installworld, registered) as packages, like Solaris or MVS (IBM
> > mainframe O/S) do.  Let the user decide what to install or not install.
> >

> And unless there existed convinient to use collections of those (let's
> call that bin dist), lot's of people would really hate that. I consider
> the present system of being able to get a pretty unified standard base
> system a big plus. That also means being able to depend on the presence of
> such when writing programs/scripts and not wrorrying too much about that
> there might be a system on which somebody forgot to install df, dd or
> something else trivial.

Meta packages like, bin, would include everything necessary and could
be structured in such a way were the user would be required to choose
between for example nvi or vim (IMO better than nvi).  In the end you
would have a df, dd, and vi, the one of your choosing.  Choosing no vi
for example would not be an option.  (Sorry but vi is the example that
comes to mind here).  This would apply equally to lpr/LPRng, MTA's,
named, or anything else in the system.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC