Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:17:27 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Build status

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 08:38:47AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <3956.956038884@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> >> IMHO, it's not such a bad idea.  freebsd-current _is_ the place to
> >> report problems with -current, why can't the report be produced by a
> >> daemon?
> >
> >Becuase it's chunky and regular enough that I don't see why we
> >also can't just create a new notification service for it.
>
> Because the people who don't compile LINT are unlikely to subscribe
> to it.
>
> The alternative is to send it to committers, but I pressume all the
> ports people would be pretty annoyed, and by sending it to -current
> maybe a new junior hacker or two could be ferret out :-)
>
> >Think a bit bigger-picture also; theoretically, we should have these
> >reports for -current and the RELENG_3 and RELENG_4 branches.  The
> >machine-resources are available for it, we just haven't organized
> >it properly.

I think reports for RELENG_3 and RELENG_4 should be sent to -stable
rather than here, and sent only if something doesn't build or new
warnings appear wrt the previous build; this should be rare enough not
to bother -stable people and anyone MFCing should be reading -stable
anyway?

And I think sending -current reports here is a *great* idea and
including kernel builds, not just make world, is also very good.

Just my $0.02.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/