Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:09:53 -0500
From:      ncolicc@ibm.net (Nicolas C. Colicchio)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic on mounting OS/2 partition (was: "WARNING: / was not properly dismounted" message at reboot time.)

On 02/28/99 at 10:34 AM, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> said:

>>> itself.
>>>
>>> This is a panic.  There should have been a message like "panic: don't
>>> know what to do now" before the numbers.
>>
>>  I guess  I missed that message. It would make sense.

>If it happens again, try to remember the panic string.  It's the closest
>thing we have to an explanation for the problem.

>>> Nothing at all?  No disk activity?  At this point it should be
>>> recovering the file systems.  This can take a while.
>>
>> Yes there is no Disk activity... I have left it for upto 15 minutes
>> with no change.

>It won't change any more.
  I not sure if you mean it is stuck that way or your asking .
 I did try again this time I left the computer for 2 1/2 hours and the no
change no disk activity. nothing.

>>> This is normally not an option.

>>> Indeed.  I'd be interested in finding out exactly what happened, but
>>> not at the expense of tearing your file systems apart.
>>
>>  Some Things I have tried since my first posting of this note:
>>   I have booted up under OS/2 and remove the the Boot Manger
>> Partition. Made the FreeBSD partition the Active partition and
>> FreeBSD will still not come active.

>No, that wasn't the problem.  You'd got past where the active partition
>makes any difference.

>> I have tried making that partition a FAT partition and no head way.

>Change that back immediately.  That will definitely screw things up.

I did. It was a short lived test hoping that if the reboot is trying to
remount that partition and I had it as a more acceptable file system. it
may get passed the error and let me get on so that I could unmount it.

>>    From the DOS partition I created a FreeBSD Fixit disk from the
>> CDrom. I've booted from Diskette however I am sure to use the
>> diskette to bring up a Unix system

>You should boot from the installation disk and then mount the fixit disk.
>Is this what you did?  Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

Actually this is not what I had done. I had tried booting form the  Fixit
diskette. This is why It complained that it could not find the Boot.Config
and Boot.help files and that there was no kernel.
    I tried the installation diskette and was able to use the Live
Filesystem on The second CDrom. However I was unable to access the Hard
disk so that I could repair it. Am I suppost to try and mount the Hard
disk. When I enter the mount command it only reports back that the CD-rom
is the only dev mounted.
   I've tried with the Fixit Diskette and I don't seemed to be able to get
a prompt. Perhaps something is preventing the fixit diskette from working
properly.

   I am running FreeBSD 2.2.8 - release #0

>> it tells me that I am missing two Boot.* files.

>It would be nice if you reported which ones.

  see above comment for which ones.