Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:22:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        cjs@cynic.net (Curt Sampson)
Cc:        bsdx@looksharp.net, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun mice (fwd)

Curt Sampson drunkenly mumbled...
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Adam wrote:
>
> > Thanks, hmm, are they really ps/2 or just the same shape?
>
> They're just the same shape.

no they aren't, what he was asking me about was the ps/2 ports on the SUN
clone box we have.  sun put a ps/2 controller onto the AX series motherboards.
i wouldn't recommend ever getting anything based on the AX motherboards, we
have 5 AX-MP systems, and they SUCK.  sun throttled the I/O down to nothing
on these boxes.

> One possibility would be to use USB. You could plop a PCI USB card
> into one of the PCI Ultras, but your X server would then have to
> support that.

if someone could do this, i would be interested in the results.  unfortunately
i can't justify doing this to our PCI sun boxes, and all my sun hardware i have
at home is SBus (and really old)

i'd be both interested in if Solaris and NetBSD both support this or not.

> And, of course, all this USB stuff is moot on an SS2. But again,
> many PS/2 mice will also now operate on a serial port, which an
> SS2 does have.

hmm, interesting, do you know off hand if Solaris supports serial mice (i know
it used to when it was SunOS4 since the old sun3 hardware had serial mice)

> (Personally, I really want to use my Sun-3 keyboards on my PCs.
> I'd even give up the wheel for that.)

i'm with you, if i could get a type 5 on my PC i would be in heaven (it's got
all the keys in the right places, stupid PC keyboards)

although i did have an LK250 hooked up to my one PC that was running FreeBSD.
very nice keyboard.  too bad a dropped a coffee mug on it and killed it.  if
anyone knows where to get LK250 keyboards please let me know, they are great.

-brian