Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 00:19:41 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        oliverg@dharmapublishing.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 Question

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:04:43 -0700
"Oliver Gould" <oliverg@dharmapublishing.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this is not quite the place for this question but I'm at my wits
> ends here. I need viable Horizontal sync ranges and vertical refresh
> rates for my compaq presario laptop 1200-XL118 (13" HPA screen, Trident
> Cyberblade i7 video card)and I have not been able to find them anywhere.
> They are not in the online product manuals and the compaq support people
> have given me ranges that don't work after telling me the info doesn't
> exist. I have been guessing away and getting close. Is there some sort of
> autodetect utility? Is my hardware not supported?

hello oliver,

when i first installed X, i also was not able to locate any documentation
covering the refresh rates for the LCD attached to my laptop.  however,
after much trial and error, i finally hit upon a working combination.  i am
writing with the hope that we can save you from this tedious process...

if i am not mistaken, the xorg release (and even xfree86 4.4, i think) no
longer needs an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  if you try to run X without, it should
autodetect and load suitable settings.  you can then, at your leisure,
compile a working xorg.conf from the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

...and guess what.  when i tried this recently, i noticed that xorg
detected and specified no horizontal or vertical refresh settings.
yep, none.  so much for all that time spent on trial and error.   =]

well, i'm not sure whether this is specific to 'my' hardware or whether it
applies to LCD screens in general.  regardless, given the minimal effort
involved (renaming your .conf file), it is certainly worth a test.

hope this helps.

cheers,
epi