Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 18:26:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new command: doconfig

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> I would like to add this as a new command to FreeBSD.  I mentioned it a
> few months back when I originally wrote it, and received positive
> Digital Unix.  'doconfig' is basically a simplifier for kernel compiling,
> by wrapping 'vi /sys/i386/conf/MINE; config; cd ../../compile/MINE; make
> depend; make; make install; reboot' or whatnot into a simpler, nicer
> interface.. For instance, I just recompiled my kernel with (the GLACIER
> config file already existed):

>     % doconfig -r -c GLACIER
> Remove existing kernel log /sys/i386/conf/kernelbuild.log? [yes] y
> Removing old directory ../../compile/GLACIER:  Done.
> Kernel build directory is ../../compile/GLACIER
> Building Dependancies..  1-Oct-1997 15:20.49
> Building Dependancies..  1-Oct-1997 15:21.57
> Building Kernel..  1-Oct-1997 15:21.57
> Building Kernel..  1-Oct-1997 15:32.38
> Installing Kernel..  1-Oct-1997 15:32.38
> A backup kernel already exists, rename to /kernel.29-Jul-1997? [yes] yes
> ***
> *** Ready to reboot.  If the system is unable to bootup, you can type:
> ***
> ***     /kernel.old
> ***
> *** At the 'Boot:' prompt, to boot from the old kernel.
> ***
>
> [Press ENTER to Reboot]

This is the part I don't like.  It's simply not necessary to do the reboot
as part of the doconfig, and far more likely to cause problems than to
solve them.

Another thing ... how about doing a datestamp check on the lkm's and
failing if they're more than 24 hours out of date?  I mean, failing the
install part (the build could proceed).

> This program is a PERL program, and has a few places where I would like to
> expand it in the future (for instance, I've heard rumors about a
> auto-kernel-config-file-generation program, so for now I just run a few
> seds and whatnot on the GENERIC template, when generating a new config
> file--this could instead hook into the auto-generation one).
>
> I would like to add:
>
>     /usr/sbin/doconfig
>     /usr/share/man/man8/doconfig.8.gz
>
> Comments, questions?  The manpage is attached.
>
> -Brandon Gillespie

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |