Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:08:29 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ham radio programs?

dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> Michael A. Endsley writes:
> >
> > Is anybody running ham radio programs on FreeBSD?  I am looking for things
> > like jnos/tnos, logging, etc. Thanks
>
> TNOS (http://www.lantz.com) knows FreeBSD. I submitted several patches to
> the author which found its way into the distribution. I was too busy
> elsewhere when the beta of TNOS 2.30 was out, so its not a perfect clean
> compile right out of the box. Almost... I was going to put together a
> patch this afternoon, but didn't.
>
> FreeBSD's slattach won't attach to a pty, last time I tried it. Something
> to do with the pty not being as complete as a tty. Failed with in an
> ioctl for setting process group or some such. Linking TNOS's IP stack
> to FreeBSD's becomes more difficult than it should. I got a PPP link
> running once thru a pty. And didn't know how I did it afterwards to
> repeat. A pair of hardware serial ports with a null modem cable works.

I have been running KA9Q Net and my packet BBS code since FreeBSD 1.0 .
The problem with the PTY is fixable. I submitted the fixes a couple years ago,
but it's never been encorporated into the sources. I have the modified code and

man page if anyone would like it. I can put it on my FTP server.

I have also compiled TNOS and JNOS on FreeBSD. TNOS is sort of aggressive,
as it wants to play with your password file, probably not a *good* thing!

--
Jim Durham