Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:11:49 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        "YODER,ANDREW (Non-HP-Boise,ex1)" <andrew_yoder@non.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kdm on freeBSD 4 release

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:06:32PM -0600, YODER,ANDREW
(Non-HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:

> Hello,

> 3. /etc/ttys includes the line: ( ttyv8 /usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"
> xterm off secure ) so I changed this from xdm to kdm but left
> everything else the same.

That should read: ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

Before you change that though, try it from the command line. As root,
type: kdm -nodaemon

This should start kdm and you can try to log in. If that works then
switch to the console you started kdm from, ie., Alt-Ctrl-F1 and then
Ctrl-C to stop the kdm process. After you have made the change to
/etc/ttys you can type (as root): kill -1 1

This will restart init and rescan your /etc/ttys file so there is no
need to reboot.

It has been a long time since I have used kdm but I do remember there
being some problem with the authdir but it seems like you may have
already solved that one.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252