Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X.org-update -> screen garbled / settings for xorg.conf?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Ewald Jenisch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I upgraded my system (ports) so I got x.org 7.4 installed.
>
> Given the various entries in /usr/ports/UPDATING about the recent
> updates for xorg I wonder what the correct settings/combinations are
> for my installation:
>
> I've got hald running as per /etc/rc.conf with hald_enable="YES" as
> well as moused (moused_enable=YES in rc.conf).
>
> My login is via console from where I manually start X11 (gnome) via
> "startx".
>
> Here's what I've got in my xorg.conf:
>
> # Added after upgrade of X11
> Section "ServerFlags"
>    Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
> EndSection
>
> the following entries where there even before the upgrade:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>        Driver      "kbd"
>        Option  "Corekeyboard"
>        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
>        Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
>        Option "XkbLayout" "de"
>        Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>        Driver      "mouse"
>        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
>

> Here are my questions:
>
> o) When I start X it basically works, but then I get out of gnome,
> ending up at the commandline and start X11 again ("startx"), the
> screen becomes garbled and everything freezes completely. Not only is
> any input via the console disabled but also no reaction on already
> established ssh-sessions - complete lockup.
>
> I'm using the "radeonhd" driver for my graphics card is a ATI Radeon
> HD 2400 XT (RV610 chipset).
>

> o) Are the above settings (i.e. AllowEmptyInput and the sections for
> keyboard/mouse) correct for my combination of hald and moused running?
>
> Thanks much in advance for your help,
> -ewald

Me too.
I started a thread a few days ago titled "Restarting new Xorg freezes
system".
My symptoms are the same as yours.
I'm not running hald at all.
I'm not using full-blown gnome, just windowmaker.
I'm using the "radeon" driver on an ATI HD 4350

I just tried switching to the "vesa" driver, and now I can stop and start
X as much as I want with no problems whatsoever.
I know that this was not a problem with the "radeon" driver prior to the
Xorg update.