Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:10:36 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?

At 9:32 AM -0700 2001/1/19, Brett Glass wrote:

>  Wrong. What has happened is that certain people in the group, obsessed with
>  power and ego, see certain people with innovative or novel ideas as a threat.
>  They therefore attempt to brand them as whackos, and the more conformist
>  members of the group, and/or those who think they might have
>something to gain
>  by doing so, go along and join the "pile-on."

	Right, everyone who opposes or disagrees with Brett is inherently
evil.  I think we've heard this somewhere before.

	I won't make any claim as to whether or not I am "obsessed with
power and ego", because I obviously would not be qualified to answer
that question in the negative.  However, I think I can safely say
that I am not one of "the more conformist members of the group".  I
am certainly not "piling on".

	My personal reason for opposing you most of the time is that I
find you an excessively annoying and tedious person to deal with, and
you never seem willing to be able to actually listen and hear what
other people have to say on the subject -- instead, you try to drown
them out by droning on.

	Sadly, more often than not, this has exactly the desired effect,
and drives a lot of people away from the FreeBSD project.
Fortunately, there are a few more determined types that stick around
anyway, although most of them seem to do so by killfile-ing
everything you say and everything on any thread in which you have
ever had anything to say.

	I recognize that you do occasionally have something useful to
say, or something novel to add to the discussion.

	However, I find that this doesn't come anywhere close to making
up for the sort of thing we typically hear from you -- your paranoid
delusional ramblings, your extremely vocal opposition and personal
attacks towards anyone who disagrees with you, and your cries of
"poor pitiful me".

	And with that, I think I'm about ready to killfile you, too.  I
believe that I am a rather tolerant person, and I've only ever
killfiled two other people in my whole life with Unix (dating back to
1984), but there's only so much from you that even I am willing to
put up with.

	The worst of it is, in this particular case I think you have a
valid point about there being a certain atmosphere of hazing with
regards to the FreeBSD project -- maybe not from the committers
themselves, but certainly by other people who are on the mailing
lists and presumably have been on the mailing lists for some time.

	Sadly, this point has now gotten lost in the noise that you have
generated about yourself.