Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:35:42 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching to Dvorak (was Re: FreeBSD keyboard)

--------

John Fieber uttered with conviction:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Stephen McKay wrote:
>
> Now that I know someone who has switched, I can ask that all
 > important question: "Was it really worth it?".  Yes, *really* worth
 > it.  How long did the switch take you?
>
> My case is pretty atypical.
>
> I never properly learned qwerty.  When I first had a computer, and
> discovered that being able to type was helpful, I got some typing
> books and worked away for some months, all the time thinking there
> must be a better way.  At some point I remembered hearing something
> about a faster keyboard layout and after some hunting, I found a
> picture of a dvorak keyboard.  I f igured out how to remap the
> keyboard and set to work on the new layout.  I'd say that it was
> less than a week before I surpased my qwerty speed and have never
> gone back.

 I am right now typing this on a dvorak kbd and already not having to
 look at the keys...

 Lots of misfires ... but I can already see some improvement...

  - branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?