Date:      Sat, 05 Aug 2000 22:16:13 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
To:        SoftGuitar@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbies - an answer to

Jesse,

I'm really surprised.  I too am a newbie and I've never had prior experience with
FreeBSD.  It's been three months now and I've learned a lot.  It's exciting as
long as I don't look too far ahead to see what I have yet to learn.

The key is to rely on yourself as much as possible.  Have you been to the FreeBSD
web site?  Have you read the online handbook or better yet, bought your own copy
of Complete FreeBSD?  Have you subscribed to the newbies site and posted there?
It's geared more for us I think.  The norm on this listServ (questions) is very
technically oriented.  It's a great listserv, but be specific with your questions
and limit them to one or two per post.

"...trying to install BSD and need some help..."  is not specific enough.  How
far have you gotten?  How are you installing it, CD ROM or FTP?  What kind of
errors are you getting?   I've learned that the more specific the question, the
quicker and more complete the response.  Please understand the people (gurus) on
this site aren't here to hand hold newbies who aren't doing there part.  I mean
no insult here and am merely speaking in general terms.  In fact this is the
first posting I've seen from you.  My intent is to get you excited about BSD and
perhaps even inspire you to continue your adventure with a real operating system
that improves every day in response to the people who use it.  Not because of
profits, but of vision (section 1.3.2 of the FreeBSD Handbook 1st Edition).

FreeBSD is an amazing operating system and as I'm sure you're aware from your
Unix class, the best OS for those who want to be Internet power users.  Open
Source Software Development (OSSD) is the best method IMO for getting real
competition back in the computer industry.  Despite what the Microsoft drones
say, this is the best place to be for true innovation and vision.  Hang on Jesse
and jump in -- the future of high-tech computing is here.

Mark