Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:36:11 -0700
From:      Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com>
To:        Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What about network virtualization for jails?

I don't really know much about how using vnet with jails will affect
NFS services. I would suggest setting up a test environment before
attempting anything on production servers.

Please also note that my jail admin project is written mainly to fit
my particular use-case, but I'll always gladly accept patches if
another use-case needs to be addressed.

Thanks,

Shawn

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net> wrote:
> hi Shawn,
>
> Am 25.11.2011 um 16:54 schrieb Shawn Webb:
>
>> Yes. You can use VIMAGE/vnet with jails. In fact, I just blogged about
>> how to set it up:
>>
>> http://0xfeedface.org/blog/2011-11-21/lattera/freebsd-vnet-jail-admin-pr=
oject

>> I'm also writing a php project that will help administer FreeBSD jails:
>>
>> https://github.com/lattera/jailadmin
>
> that's extremely cool :-) I will test it the next days, with our most imp=
ortant services. Does the new features-set make any differences for NFS ser=
ver in a jail? I want to switch from two Solaris 10 NFS =A0servers to FreeB=
SD Jails.
> At the moment I know only, that this is bad idea, because of kernel probl=
ems. User-space NFS is also no way, to serve as NFS Server for 130 NFS =A0(=
Linux) clients, booting there "/" =A0over NFS.