Date:      Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:12:44 -0400
From:      Kevin Wilcox <kevin.wilcox@gmail.com>
To:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch to enable our tcpdump to handle CARP

On 19 October 2011 16:20, George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to debug CARP problems of late. I noticed that our tcpdu=
mp didn't have CARP
> support. =C2=A0I took and fixed some code from OpenBSD so that our tcpdum=
p can work with
> CARP. =C2=A0Unlike OpenBSD you have to specify -T carp to read carp packe=
ts. =C2=A0In their version
> you specify -T VRRP, because they don't like VRRP. =C2=A0I decided that w=
e should go with
> what most of the industry cares about rather than what OpenBSD cares abou=
t.

Additionally, Daniel Hartmeier posted a significant patch to
freebsd-questions@ for pf+tcpdump earlier this year that added support
for the pfsync device. I've been using it in production on firewalls
with 125k pps average to track NAT translations for a /17 and it's
been of endless utility since pf doesn't offer the translation logging
you see on some commercial devices.

kmw