Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:09:19 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Brian Skrab <sillybug@pinky.us.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Duplicating CDROMS in 1 step?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 03:03:51PM -0500, Brian Skrab wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I have a Toshiba SCSI CDROM and a HP SCSI CD Writer on my FreeBSD
> 	3.4 machine.  I have been using the cdrecord and mkisofs tools to
> 	duplicate (for the most part) the data on a CD and burn it onto a
> 	CDR disc.  However, when I examine the portions of the disc used by
> 	mounting both the original and the duplicated CD they do not appear
> 	to contain the same amount of data.  This is also a somewhat
> 	cumbersome way to make copies.  Does anyone know of a tool for
> 	FreeBSD that will burn an exact duplicate of a CD to a CDR?

I used dd recently to make a duplicate of a CD (man dd for details):

dd bs=2048 if=/dev/cd0c of=/image.iso

assuming the cdrom device is /dev/cd0c. Also the volume label gets
copied, which otherwise needs to be done with a mkisofs option. It
appears to be in the 17th sector, and this is actually the only way
I found to read the CD volume label in FreeBSD.

> 	Ideally, I'd like to pop a CD into the CDROM and a blank CDR into
> 	the CD writer, run the utility and have a complete copy burned byte
> 	for byte onto the CDR.  Does such a beast exist?

It's obvious to pipe dd to cdrecord instead of making an image file... :-)

Hope it helps,
Karel.