Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   need a (less) elaborate, more economical solution (sendmail relaying control)

Allright, here's the scenario:

   We're running two machines to do the task one should be more than
capable of handling. Personally I'd like to put them all on one
machine, but not at the cost of large and painful configuration
changes.

   The first machine, (which primarily acts as a mail and web server),
currently controls who can send email beyond that of the inner office
domain by use of the relay-domains feature for sendmail, (only the IP
addresses which can send out of the building are put into the table,
since the domain is local to the machine all other traffic is not
relayed and thus goes through anyhow). The machine runs one two
networks, the internal and the internet. All machines are currently
statically configured, and dhcp is becoming more of a requirement than
an option due to the constant moving/reconfiguring of internal nodes.

   The second machine also resides on both networks, and runs squid
and natd. The sole use of the machine is to route internet traffic for
the office. I'd like to dispose of this machine, (currently a much
older 486DX2 machine).

   Both machines connect to a small workgroup hub, which intern
connects them to the router (Cisco box), and the router routes a small
(/30) subnet to the two machines. We're looking to upgrade to an ADSL-
based solution, and utilize a PC for the actual routing (as the older
Cisco box is not modular and would be incapable of doing so).

1 - Update the mail server with some more powerful hardware, and
update to newer software releases, (FreeBSD, sendmail, apache, and
mysql mostly).

2 - run natd functions and squid from this same machine to the
internal network and finally, route the remander of a /29 subnet
through to a third network (the small workgroup hub). The third
network will be used for other machines which require an public IP
address.

3 - find another means by which to control the ability to relay
through sendmail, (which is not controlled by IP addressing). Ideally
I'd like to force outgoing smtp authentication, and allow or deny
relaying based on username.

4 - implement network-wide dhcp configurations to centralize the
management of IP addresses, and implement a blanket firewall policy,
(as opposed to the current per-ip configuration - which btw is massive
by the time it's done)

   I know HOW to do most of what I mention, with the exception of the
sendmail relaying configuration, (mostly because I've never tried
anything like it before). Just looking for feedback and general ideas
or comments before I move on into something that could be accomplished
more easily.
   In the end I need to be able to configur all machine via dhcp,
allow or deny mail relaying by username, and last but not least:
combine resources into one (faster) more dependable machine. All
comments/constructive criticism/suggestions/shared experiences/ideas
welcome and appreciated; but please reply directly and CC' the list,
(or vise-versa), as I am no longer subscribed to the general list.

--
Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com